Fashion rules are meant to be broken. Lately, for me, that means wearing denim on denim. I tend to think that the secret of pulling off denim on denim is BALANCE. Also, know your body and keep in mind that light shades of denim draw attention to the areas they cover.
I prefer mixing denim shades but still, you can do similar coloured denim on denim and still pull it off. (Check out Linda’s take on denim)
Here are some Dos and Don’t s for denim on denim that might be useful as you try out this look :-).
- Play with colours if you’re a total beginner – Before delving into shades of double blue, start out by pairing different shades of denim together, like white jeans and a blue denim jacket. It’s almost impossible to get it wrong this way.
- Use denim shades to flatter or hide body parts – As a general rule, lighter shades of denim draw attention to the body parts they cover, while darker shades create a slimming effect.
- Distressed Denim (ripped jean shorts or jeans) – Don’t be afraid to rip it away. There is just something about Distressed Denim. It blends well with Denim on Denim
- Dress up your double denim – Don’t be afraid to elevate your outfit with luxe-looking items including statement heels, a blazer, or a red lip.
- Wear denim accessories – Keep the jeans confined to your clothing and say no to anything else denim.
- Wear a denim outfit that’s all the same weight or wash – You don’t want to look too matchy!
- Look to Westerns for inspiration –
- Ever end up looking like Britney Spears and Justin Timber-lake, 2001 American Music Awards, wearing matching head-to-toe light wash?
Many thanks to Mercy Merci
Photo Credit – Justo
Shoes – DukaKwaBoot